From: Ramya, Mumbai, India
Makes 8 parathas. Cooking time - 40 min.
- Beetroot, finely grated-1 cup
- Onion, finely grated -1 medium sized (optional)
- Ginger,finely grated-1 tsp
- Green chillies, finely chopped-1-2
- Cumin or Carom seeds-1 tsp
- Dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), crushed-1 tsp (optional)
- Whole wheat flour-2 cups
- Salt-to taste
- Garam masala-3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder-a pinch
- Asafoetida powder-1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped-3-4 tsp
- Water-1/2 cup, enough to make a chappati-like dough
- Any Vegetable Oil-to cook the parathas
Mix all ingredients (apart from the oil) to make a stiff dough
like that of a chappati.
Roll out into medium thick chappatis/parathas with a rolling pin,
dusting with dry flour when necessary.
Heat a tawa or a flat non-stick pan.
Place one paratha on it, add 1/2 tsp oil and allow it to cook.
Flip onto the other side with a flat spatula and add 1/2 tsp oil
to cook this side.
Serve hot with curds.
Beetroot can be substituted with carrot, radish, potato or pumpkin.