Nepalese Vegetable Pulao
This is a lovely dish that is pretty easy to put together, and is full of flavor. :)
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seed, to your desire
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, to your desire
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 3 green chilies, sliced in half
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Rinse rice thoroughly, and then soak it in water for about 45 minutes.
Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a pan, and add cumin seeds, allowing them to heat until they begin to change color.
Then add turmeric, bay leaf, cloves cardamom pods and cinnamon.
Then add ginger, garlic and chilies.
Cook on medium heat for just a minute.
Next, add the onion, tomato and green peas, and cook for 3 minutes.
Now, drain the water from rice and add rice, stirring gently for a minute to combine thoroughly.
Add 2 and 1/2 cup of water, and add salt to taste.
Cook on high heat, stirring gently but continuously.
When water is almost absorbed, add lemon juice.
Lower your heat, cover the pan, and allow it to continue cooking for approximately 7 minutes or so, until the rice is completely cooked.