Resource Center - Boston, USA
Fry onion in oil until light brown.
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables
(e.g., potatoes, green beans, cauliflower, carrot)
- 4 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 1 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 2 large black cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon black cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder/cayenne
- 2 cups raw Basmati rice (rinsed 4 times, soaked 20 minutes)
or 4 cups cooked, non-sticky, long-grain rice
Add spices (cinnamon through salt in the ingredient list.) and fry
for 1 minute.
Add vegetables and fry for 4-5 minutes.
Add rice (and 4 cups water if uncooked).
Add remaining spices (coriander through chili powder in the ingredient
Bring to a boil and reduce temperature slightly until the bubbles
emerge through the rice.
Cover and reduce heat to low.
Cook for 12-15 minutes without stirring.
Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve with raita or salad.