Ko Achar (Potato Salad)
Yield: 6 servings
Boil potatoes in jackets. When done, peel & cut into small pieces.
- 1 lb Potatoes, small size if possible
- 4 Jalapeno peppers, optional, Seeded & sliced into long strips
- 1 Lime, juice of
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 c Sesame seeds, roasted, ground, optional
- 1 ts Tumeric powder
- 1 ts Cumin seeds
- 2 To 3 Chilies, whole, dried
- 3 ts Corn oil, or mustard oil -mustard gives best flavor
- 1/2 c Water
- 1/2 c Coriander, fresh, chopped
In a suitable bowl, combine potatoes, tumeric, salt, ground sesame
seeds, lime juice, half of the green coriander and water and mix
thoroughly. In a small pan heat mustard oil until hot; add cumin
seeds and red chilies. Fry them until brown and then add jalepeno
pepper. Let it cook a minute or so.
Pour it over potatoes in the bowl and mix them thoroughly; garnish
with remaining green coriander leaves.
SOURCE: Bhadrika Sharma, Bramalea, Ontario in _Ethnic Eating:
The Canadian Scene Cookbook_ (Canadian Scene is a news and information
service for Canada's ethnic media). posted by Anne MacLellan