Goan Avocado Salad
I guess this is just a glorified chunky guacamole, but my, it is good. Served at Tabla Bread Bar and featuring in the 2006 Saveur 100, this is an adaptation of a recipe by Melissa Clark via Yoga Journal. You can serve this over mixed greens as a salad, with pita bread as a dip, with any Goan-style curry as a side dish, or any other way you can dream up. It's highly versatile.
- 4 ripe avocados, coarsely cubed
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves removed and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Place all ingredients except olive oil in bowl and toss gently to combine.
Taste and add more cayenne or salt and pepper if required.
Add olive oil and toss again. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours to allow the flavours to develop.