- A South Indian snack
(1) Soak yellow split peas in water for 2-3 hrs.
- 1/2 ltr. Yellow split peas 2 tsp. Salt
- 8-12 Green Chilies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 175 gms Onion Curry leaves bunch coriander leaves
- 20 gms Cashewnuts (optional) 2 Cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Masala powder
- 3/8 ltr Oil
(2) Grind the soaked mixture with salt coarsely, without adding
(3) Cut the onions into small pieces along with ginger, green
chilies and add them to the mixture along with coriader leaves and
Now add the masala powder and add all other optional ingredients.
(4) Fry small spoonfuls of the mixture in hot oil.
Traditionally, a banana leaf is used and the mixture is taken in
lumps of the size of a small lemon and lightly pressed on the banana
leaf and the resulting flat thingie is dropped into the oil and
fried until it turns brown.
The intensity of the color needed is dependent on your taste!
NOTES This recipe is translated literally from 'samaithuppaar',
a cookbook in Tamil.