Rajma Tikki (savoury Cutlets Made from Red Kidney Beans)
From: Charishma Ramchandani
This makes a nutritious snack for school going kids or hubby :)
- 150 g red kidney beans, soaked overnight in lots of water
- 5 g green chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 10 g red chili powder
- 10 g cumin powder
- 20 g chat masala
- 10 g chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 10 g cornflour
- oil, to deep fry
- 10 g carrots, juliennes
- 10 g red capsicums, juliennes
- 10 g beetroots, juliennes
- 10 g sliced onions
- 10 g chat masala
- 10 g cumin powder, roasted
To serve with
- 100 ml mint chutney
- 100 ml tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup
Add salt and cook the kidney beans in the same water in which they were soaked overnight. More water may be added if needed. Cook until tender.
Drain well, cool and pat on clean kitchen paper towels.
Mince or mash the kidney beans.
Add the remaining ingredients, except oil and knead to make a dough.
Divide the dough into 8 portions.
Heat oil in a wok.
Deep fry one cutlet first in the oil until golden.
If it opens up, add a little more cornflour and knead the mixture well.
Then, shape into cutlets and deep fry in the oil.
Drain on a clean kitchen paper towel.
Sprinkle cumin powder and chat masala powder on the cutlets.
Garnish with carrot, beetroot and capsicum juliennes and onion slices.
Serve hot with the ketchup or chutneys.