Subji (Okra and Tomatoes)
Serving Size: 4
Wipe okra gently with moist kitchen towel. Cut each into 4 pieces
and set aside.
- 2 pounds Okra -- fresh or thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 16 ounces Stewed tomatoes (1 can=3D8 oz)
- 1 each Onion -- medium and minced
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 4 each Garlic cloves -- chopped
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper -- ground
- 2 each Green chilies -- chopped
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves-fresh/chopped
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Add onions, garlic, cumin seed,
chilies (optional), and coriander leaves. Saute 4 to 5 mins. Add
turmeric. Stir once or twice.
Add tomatoes, vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Lower
heat and simmer 15 mins.
Add okra, black pepper and salt. Cover and cook until okra is
tender, about 20 mins.