number served 4
From: Padma Bharadwaj
- Sydney, Australia
- Cabbage - 1 small or 1/2 big finely chopped
- Toor Dhal - 1 cup
- Mustard seeds (1/4 tsp), Curry leaves and Urud dhal (1/4 tsp)
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 tsp
Cut Cabbage and cook with salt (either in pressure cooker or directly
on stove with water). Drain water. Cook Toor dhal in pressur cooker
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Coriader seeds - 1 tsp
- Desiccated coconut - 1tbsp
- Dried Red chillies - 1-2 (or more depending on taste)
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Rice or Rice flour - 1 tsp
Grind the masala ingredients (dry grind or wet grind if using
In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urud dhal
and curry leaves. Add cooked toor dhal, cabbage and the ground
masala. Boil for 2 -3 minutes.
Tastes nice with Chapathi or hot rice.
This can also be prepared with Potato and spinach, Potato and
Dill, Just spinach, Cucumber, Pumpkin, Choko.