Resource Center - Boston, USA
- 4 c coarsely chopped onions
- 2 T peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t grated peeled ginger root
- curry spices
- 1.5 T ground cumin
- 1.5 T ground coriander seeds
- 1.5 t cinnamon
- 1 t turmeric
- .5 t cayenne or other ground dried red chilies
- .5 t ground fennel seeds
- .25 t ground cardamom
- .25 t ground cloves
Saute the onions in the oil for 10 min. stir in the garlic, ginger
root, & curry spices, and continue to saute, stirring patiently for
about 3 min.
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1.5 c water
- 1 c cut green beans
- 2 firm tart green pears or apples, cored and cubed
- .5 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 c chopped dried apricots (unsulfered)
- .5 c currants or raisins
- .5 c apricot conserve
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 6 c cooked brown rice
- 1 c raw or roasted peanuts
- 2 bananas
Add the zucc. & water, & stir conscientiously to keep the spices
from sticking to the pan.
cover the pan & simmer for about 10 min.
mix in the beans, pears, bell peppers & apricots. simmer gently,
covered, for around 30 min.
stir periodically and add a little more water if necessary to prevent
sticking. when everything is quite tender, stir in the currants
and the conserve. taste the curry *yum* and adjust the flavour as
add cayenne or garam masala for spice, lemon juice for tartness,
or conserves for sweetness.
Serve on rice, topped with peanuts and sliced bananas.