Eggplant Puree: Bringal Bartha
Resource Center - Boston, USA
Recipe By : Miriam Podcameni Posvolsky, Serving Size : 1
1. Place eggplant in a colander in layers sprinkling salt between
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tbs oil
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1 1/2" fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/8" chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin (ground)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbs garam masala
- salt and pepper -- to taste
2. Place ginger and chili in a small food processor and puree
3. Heat oil in a saucepan and add onions, cook until translucent.
4. Stir in ginger and continue cooking until onions start to brown.
5.Add the turmeric, 1 tsp garam masala, coriander and cumin and
cook stirring 1 minute.
6. Add the tomatoes and stir 2 minutes.
7. Rinse the eggplant and squeeze out all water between the palm
of your hands, and add to pan.
Season with salt and pepper.
8. Turn down heat, cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hour, stirring
often until all becomes a puree.
9. Add the rest of the garam masala and stir 3 minutes.
NOTES : If eggplant starts drying add a little water (very little)