and Coconut Cream Curry
From: Eva, Knoxville, TN, USA
This was inspired by a friend of mine, and thrown together rather
arbitrarily... all of the ingredients can be adjusted according
to tastes, availability, etc.
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 2.5 cups + .5 cups water
- 1.5 cups coconut cream (NOT milk, Savoy brand works wonderfully)
- 4 or 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1T. curry powder of your choice
- dash ground cinnamon
- dash ground cardamom
- .5 t. fennel seed, slightly pulverized
- .5 t. caraway seed, slightly pulverized
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
Cook the rice and 2.5 cups water.
While the rice is cooking, combine coconut milk, spices, shiitakes
(broken up or chopped, dry) and .5 cup water in a small pot. Cook
on low until the mushrooms have reconstituted and are tender throughout.
Add salt and honey/sugar to taste, and combine with rice.
This is not quite describable as a soup, but is quite liquidy
and creamy. The higher in fat the coconut cream, the richer the
dish will be. Enjoy!