Half a large, firm cabbage
Shred cabbage coarsely.
- 4 Tabl. oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2-3 fresh green or red chillies, seeded & sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teas. finely grated ginger
- 1 teas. ground tumeric
- 1 1/2 teas. salt, or to taste
- 2 Tabl. desiccated coconut
Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and chillies until
Add garlic and ginger and fry, stirring, until golden.
Add tumeric and cabbage, fry and toss cabbage in the mixture,
then cover and cook over low heat for 10-15 mins. or until cabbage
is tender but not too soft.
Sprinkle with salt and mix well; then add coconut and stir to
If there is any liquid in the bottom of pan, leave cover off and
stir over medium heat until all the liquid is absorbed.
Serve as an accompaniment to rice and curries.
Yield: 6 servings