Shallots/Zuchini squash/brinjal/bitter guard/raw mango/green apple/etc.-
Cut into small pieces, if using squash/pavakka.
(Also you can cut pavakka into thin round pieces if you like).
If using mango/apple/brinjal, cut into long pieces, 3cm long and
If using shallots, either use them whole or cut into halves
Heat oil, fry mustard seeds, add onion and green chilli, stir for
a few minutes, and then add curry leaves, stir for a while, then add
salt, sugar, and all the powders, stir for a while until the mixture
turns brown, then add veg., and a cup of water.
- fenugreek powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- chilli powder - 1/2 spoon
- coriander powder - 2 or 2 1/2 spoon
- turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- onion - 1/2, cut into small pieces
- green chilli (optional) - 2 or 3, cut round, 1cm thick
- tamarind paste (concentrated) - 1 tablespoon
- sugar - 2 teaspoon
- oil, salt, mustard seeds. curry leaves is optional.
Then add tamarind paste.
(If not using tamarind paste, then put tamarind in a cup of boiled
water for a few minutes, and squeeze it well to get the juice out
of it, and you can add that tamarind water instead of adding just
water to the mixture).
Stir well, cover it and cook until it is well cooked.
(You can add coconut milk if you like; tastes better without it.)
It is ready to serve!