Vegetable Broth (Brodo di Verdure)
Recipe By: Veggie Life March 1999; Serving Size: 12
In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lg unpeeled onion -- quartered
- 2 tomatoes -- chopped
- 2 unpeeled carrots -- chopped
- 1 leek -- cleaned and sliced
- 6 stalks Italian parsley
- 3/4 c kale or Swiss chard stems
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 qt water
Add all the vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes,
until they begin to soften.
Add fennel seeds, bay leaf, and water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Strain all solids from the liquid, discarding solids and reserving
Broth can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week or frozen for up
to 2 months.