from: Karen C. Greenlee - firstname.lastname@example.org
Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
Serving Size: 6
Heat oil in a wide soup pot with onion.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onion -- finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
- 4 cloves garlic -- minced
- 3 carrots -- diced
- 1 cup celery -- chopped
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup lentils -- sorted & rinsed
- Aromatics: 2 bay leaves, 8 parsley branches, & 6 thyme sprigs
- 10 cups water or vegetable stock*
- mushroom soy sauce to taste
- 1/2 10 oz. bag spinach (washed & trimmed)
- 2 cups cooked shell pasta (4 oz. dry)
Saute over high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned,
about 10 minutes.
Add tomato paste, parsley, garlic, and vegetables, and cook 3 minutes
Add lentils, aromatics, and water and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
Add 2 teaspoons of salt and season with pepper and additional salt,
if desired, to taste.
Add mushroom soy sauce to taste, starting with 1 tablespoon.
Remove the aromatics.
Boil the greens in salted water until they are tender and bright
green, then chop them coarsely.
Just before serving, add the greens and the cooked pasta to the
soup and heat through.
Serve with extra virgin olive oil drizzled into each bowl, a generous
grind of pepper, and the Parmesan, if desired.
OPTIONAL PREPARATION METHOD:
I added the greens and pasta to the soup and cooked for 10-12
NOTES : * I used water with Knorr Concentrated Vegetable Broth.