and Eggplant Sauce
From Lori Penny
1. In a small bowl, combine the boiling water and mushrooms.
- 2c boiling water
- 1/2 oz. dried mushrooms (anykind)
- 6 1/2c water
- 1 1/2c polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1 red pepper, cut in strips
- 2T parsley
- 2 1/2c canned tomatoes, crushed
- 2c cubed eggplant
- 1/2c chopped onions
- 1T olive oil
Let soak until soft.
Drain, reserve the soaking liquid.
2. In a large frying pan, heat oil.
Add eggplant, cook for 5 min. or until browned and soft.
Stir in mushrooms, peppers, and onions; stir constantly.
3. Pour in the tomatoes and reserved mushroom liquid; bring to
Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the polenta by bringing the 6 1/2c water
to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan.
Slowly wisk in the polenta or cornmeal.
Reduce the heat to low; cook; stirring often, for 30 to 35 minutes,
or until thick and smooth.
5. Pour the polenta onto a large serving platter and keep warm
until sauce is ready.
Spoon the eggplant sauce on top. Sprinkle with parsley.
Serves: 2. Preparation time: 20