Soup with Leafy Green Vegetables
Recipe By: Lean Bean Cuisine by Jay Solomon
Serving Size: 6
Place the beans and water in a large saucepan and cook for 1 hour,
until the beans are tender.
- 1 cup dried cannellini , cranberry or navy beans -- soaked and
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks -- well rinsed
- 1 cup diced celery
- 8 mushrooms -- sliced
- 4 cloves garlic -- minced
- 2 carrots -- peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped white or red potatoes
- 3 cups shredded kale, Swiss chard, and spinach -- mixed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
Drain, reserving 6 cups of the cooking liquid, and set aside.
Heat the oil in another large saucepan and add the leeks, celery,
mushrooms, and garlic.
Saute for about 7 minutes.
Add the beans, reserved cooking liquid, and remaining ingredients
and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle the soup into bowls and season with salt at the table.
Serve hot with Italian bread.
Per serving: 221 Calories; 3g Fat (13% calories from fat);
11g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium