Lean Bean Cuisine:
Over 100 Tasty Meatless Recipes from Around the World
by Jay Solomon
Lean Bean Cuisine by Jay Solomon
Serving Size : 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion -- diced
- 1 carrot -- peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper or other chili pepper -- seeded and
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice -- uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups red kidney beans, canned -- drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion, carrot, garlic and
Scotch bonnet pepper.
Saute over medium heat for about 7 minutes.
Stir in the rice, water, coconut milk, beans and seasonings.
cover and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
When the rice is done, transfer to a serving bowl.
Fluff the rice and serve hot.
586 Calories; 18g Fat (28% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 92g
Carbohydrate; 1mg Cholesterol; 1305mg Sodium