Chilean Cilantro Salsa (Pebre)
From: Chef Kate
There are many variations of pebres, mildly hot or very hot, according to taste. This one is adapted from "The South American Table," by Maria Baez Kijac. You can add one finely chopped tomato to the salsa, if you like. Serve in a small bowl.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno or serrano chilies, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup water
Mash garlic, salt and pepper into a paste in a medium bowl. Whisk in oil and vinegar until emulsified.
Place green onions, jalapeno, cilantro and water in a blender; pulse until minced, but not pureed, about 10 seconds. Stir into the oil and vinegar mixture. Cover; let stand 2 hours to develop flavors.