Chilean Black-Eyed Peas & Winter Squash
Serving Size : 6
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 2 pounds winter squash (acorn, butternut, etc.) -- peeled & cut into chunks
- 2 onions -- chopped
- 5 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 fresh chile -- minced
- 2 large tomatoes -- chopped
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
Soak the black-eyed peas overnight. Put all ingredients except the salt and the corn in the crock pot, and stir to mix well. Cook on low for 8 hours. Add corn and salt, heat through, and serve alone, with corn bread or with a loaf of crusty French bread, or over rice.
[FFV Note: It may be necessary to add some water to this to make sure the peas cook. If the mixture seems dry, add enough water to almost cover the black-eyed peas, probably about 2 cups.].
From the recipe files of Carole Walberg
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.