Jamaican Cook-Up with Black Soybeans and Greens
Recipe By: Dana Jacobi, Amazing Soy
Serving Size : 6
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or use soymilk + coconut extract)
- 1 medium onion -- chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper -- seeded and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 10 oz package chopped collard greens -- see note
- 1 large carrot -- cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions -- white and green parts
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes -- 1/8 to 1/4
- 1 15 oz can black soybeans -- drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of the coconut milk in a large saucepan or small Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the onion and green pepper and sauté for 3 minutes, or until the onion softens.
Add 2 cups hot water, the remaining coconut milk, rice, collard greens, carrot, scallions, thyme, allspice, and red pepper flakes. Cover the pot bring it to a boil, and reduce the heat. Simmer until the rice is done, 15 to 20 minutes.
Mix in the soybeans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let sit, covered, until you are ready to serve.
NOTES : This is one of the quickest meals I know, although I discovered it in one of the most leisurely places on earth. Strolling along the beach near Ocho Rios in Jamaica, I came across a man cooking creamy coconut rice, smoky-tasting greens, and velvety red beans, all in an iron kettle set over a charcoal fire in a shack. He ladled out this modest food onto a paper plate, and I ate it sitting on a log beside the sea. In our high-speed world, however, you can make this meatless meal in 30 minutes thanks to frozen collards and canned beans. To use fresh collard, remove the stems from a medium bunch of the greens, about 3/4 lb. Cut the leaves crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Boil the greens for 5 minutes and drain. There should be 3 cups cooked greens.
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.