Peruvian Chickpea Stew
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced into wedges
- 1 small yellow squash, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- salt or salt substitute, and freshly cracked
- black pepper
- cooked brown rice
In a deep pot, saute onions and garlic in oil until onions turn pale brown.
Add the chickpeas, tomato wedges, diced squash, and all the seasonings.
Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes. Stir often. Add a few teaspoons of water or vegetable broth if needed.
Serve hot over cooked brown rice.