From: Brian Dobby
- Childs Ercall, Shropshire, UK
1. In a large pan or casserole dish, heat the oil then add the prepared
vegetables. Cover and fry gently until soft.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 Celery sticks, finely sliced
- 2 Carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 piece (to taste) Root ginger, grated
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 pinch Grated nutmeg
- 25g Wholemeal flour
- 300ml Vegetable stock
- 150ml Red wine
- 450g Fresh chestnuts; or 225g dried chestnuts, soaked; or can
of vacuum packed chestnuts
- 1 tsp Demerara sugar
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- Fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
- Rice or noodles, to serve
2. Stir in the ginger, bay leaves, nutmeg and flour, and mix well.
3. Gradually add stock and wine, blending well. Bring to the boil
stirring occasionally. Add the chestnuts and seasoning; cover and
simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes, or until the chestnuts are
soft but not falling apart.
4. Add sugar and soy sauce. Season to taste and garnish with parsley
before serving. serve with rice or noodles.