Recipe By: LINDA'S KITCHEN by Linda McCartney (Little, Brown); Serving
Simple and Inspiring Recipes for Meals without Meat
by Linda McCartney
1. Steam all the vegetables separately until they are tender or slightly
- 1 1/3 cups corn kernels
- 3/4 pound broccoli
- 3/4 pound zucchini
- 3/4 pound carrots
- 1/4 pound french beans
- 3 small leeks
- 1 1/4 cups bechamel sauce (see above)
- fresh summer herbs -- a bunch such as tarragon; thyme; dill
- 8 ounces puff pastry
2. Leave to cool, reserving cooking liquids, then chop if necessary
into bite-size pieces.
3. Thin out the bechamel with about 1/4 pint / 150ml of the reserved
4. Stir in the vegetables and herbs and pour into a large ovenproof
5. Roll out the pastry to a round or other shape that is 1 inch
(2.5cm) larger than the diameter of the dish.
With the trimmings make a long thin strip of pastry.
Moisten the rim of the dish and place this strip on it.
Moisten the strip, then place the pastry lid on top and press down
with a fork to seal the edge.
6. Bake at 200C/ 400F/ Gas Mark 6 for 30-40 minutes or until the
pastry is risen and golden.
Notes: Serves 4-6 The joy of this pie is that you can make it
across the seasons, choosing your favourite vegetables.
Spring, Summer or Winter it makes a mouthwatering meal.
1998 Hanneman/McBuster (PER SERVING: 531 cals, 31 g fat)