1,000 Vegetarian Recipes
by Carol Gelles
I LOVE this recipe! it is one of my favorite dishes...
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (i usually put lots extra...perhaps
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked lentils (or canned) i use the smaller brown lentils
- 1-10 oz package frozen mixed vegetables (i usually put in only
- perhaps some fried mushrooms)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (i make extra sice i like it potatoey)
Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan (i use a 9x14 glass cake pan usually because
i don't think the suggested size is big enough)
In a med sized saucepan, heat oil and add onions and garlic.
cook, stirring until softened, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the flour until absorbed.
Add the broth, thyme, salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
Stir in lentils and vegetables.
Spoon into pan.
Place potatoes in a pastry bag and pipe them on top.
(ok...i never do this because i am lazy. i just use a spoon to put
little scoops of potatoes on top and then spread them.
i usually make the potatoes creamy with some soy milk so they will
Leave a hole in the centre so steam can escape or it tends to bubble
Bake 40 minutes or until potatoes are browned a bit on top.
This recipe came from a cookbook called 1000 vegetarian recipes
by Carol Gelles...i would recommend it since although all the recipes
are not vegan, they are clearly marked as vegan or lacto or whatever
and usually substitutions for vegans are provided.
i have also mixed ground meat substitute (veggie ground round) in
with the lentils before and it was pretty ok.