and Ale Pie
From: kara, manchester, ct, US
when i became a vegetarian a few years ago, my husband moaned
because he wouldn't be able to have one of his favorite meals from
back home (wales, uk), steak and ale pie. so, i made up this recipe
to appease him.
it really hits the spot on a cold autumn evening!
- 1 pkg vegetarian mushroom mutton (found in health food or Asian
- 1/2 pkg vegetarian steak pieces
- 8 oz. prepared vegetarian gravy (Bisto works well, they have
it at Stop & Shop)
- 4 oz. strong ale (i usually use Bass Ale)
- 1 shallot
- 2 tbsp. vegetarian margarine
- salt and pepper
- 1 prepared unsweetened pie crust (if frozen, thaw in fridge
for 6-8 hours)
- 1 sheet prepared filo pastry
in a small skillet or sauce pan, melt margarine over medium heat
until just bubbling.
dice shallot, and add to pan.
cook for 3-5 minutes, or until shallot pieces become clear.
add mushroom mutton and "steak" pieces, and cook until
add 2 oz of the gravy and 1 oz of the ale, and cook until "meat"
season with salt and pepper to taste.
combine gravy and ale and pour approximately 3 oz of mixture into
pour mixture in pie shell, and cover with a sheet of filo pastry.
prick the top several times with a fork or a knife.
put in heated oven for 30 min, or until pie crust is browned nicely.
serve with remaining gravy and vegetables. serves 4.