and Lentil Schnitzels
and Gina Fraser - Perth, Western Australia
Cook lentils, drain and let cool.
- 5 tbs lentils
- 750g kumera (orange coloured sweet potato)
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- half a stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 tbs parsley, chopped
- half a teaspoon dried oregano
- quarter teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- flour for dusting, soy milk, breadcrumbs
Keep water for stock.
Cut kumera into thick slices, steam and let dry.
Fry onions with celery until brown.
Add garlic, oregano, nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper.
Cook for 1 minute.
Mash kumera, stir in onion mixture and lentils and shape into
1 cm thick flat patties.
Dust with flour, dip into soy milk and after draining, dip in breadcrumbs.
Fry for a few minutes on either side until golden brown.
Drain on paper.