(Makes about 8 cups)
This delicious salad is also a visual feast. It may be made in advance and keeps well for several days. The cilantro may be omitted if you prefer.
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 15-ounce can corn kernels, drained, or 1 10-ounce bag frozen corn, thawed, or 2 cups fresh corn
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or distilled vinegar
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne
- 1 chipotle chili, canned in adobo sauce, diced
In a large bowl, combine beans, onion, bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, and cilantro.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegars, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and chipotle. Pour over salad and toss gently to mix.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 70 calories; 4 g protein; 14 g carbohydrate; 0.7 g fat; 4 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; calories from protein: 20%; calories from carbohydrates: 71%; calories from fats: 9%
Adapted slightly from Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes by Patricia Bertron, R.D.
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.