Broiled Balsamic-Maple Vegetables
from woodland hues
A selection of fresh vegetables broiled with a sultry sweet-tangy sauce. This recipe originates in Our Canada magazine, and calls for grilling the veggies. A variety of other veggies could be used also.
- 3/4 lb asparagus spear, trimmed
- 3/4 lb carrot, halved and quartered
- 2 small zucchini, halved and cut into thirds
- 1 large red pepper, seeded, cut into eights
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
For glaze, bring vinegar and syrup to boil in a small saucepan.
Reduce heat and cook over medium heat, keeping an eye on it, until it begins to thicken.
Set aside to cool.
Place cut up vegetables in a large bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil.
sprinkle with seasonings and toss to coat.
Broil vegetables 15 - 20 min, turning and stirring them around once.
Brush with half the glaze and broil 6 - 8 min longer or until crisp tender.
Add remaining glaze just before serving.