from: Karen C. Greenlee
Recipe adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
Serving Size: 6 Preparation Time :0:20
In a large skillet, saute the onions, garlic and bell pepper in oil
on medium heat.
- 1 small onion -- chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery -- chopped
- 1 green bell pepper -- chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried) -- chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp. dried) -- chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried) -- chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
- red pepper to taste
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey-type liquid sweeter (eg maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 16 oz can black-eyed peas -- rinsed & drained
- cooked white or brown rice
Add chopped celery and continue to saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add thyme, basil, oregano, black pepper, Cajun seasoning, and
red pepper to taste.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are golden, stirring
Add tomatoes, honey, and mustard and simmer 5 more minutes.
Add the beans, cover, and stir occasionally until thoroughly heated.
Serve over rice.