If your only experience with cranberries has been in sweet, jelled
sauces, this spicy chutney will provide a welcome change of pace
for your grown-up palate.
Place all the ingredients except the honey in a deep, heavy saucepan
and bring to a simmer.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup peeled, diced apple
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste
Cook over low heat with the lid slightly ajar for 20 to 25 minutes,
or until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
Add syrup to taste and simmer uncovered for another 5 to 10 minutes
Let the chutney cool to room temperature, then store in a sterilized
jar, tightly covered but not sealed.
Refrigerate until needed.
Before serving, bring to room temperature.
Per Serving: Calories: 97; Total Fat: 0; Protein: 1 gram; Carbohydrate:
23; grams; Cholesterol: 0 grams; Sodium: 2 milligrams