Crock Pot Rice & Vegetable Medley
from Dreamer in Ontario
From Canadian Living Slow cooker Cookbook Special.
SERVES 10 -12
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch crumbled saffron thread or ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened (about 5 min).
Add sauteed veggies to slow cooker.
Add vegetable stock, rice, sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and saffron.
Cover and cook for 4 hours on low until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
Stir in the peas, peppers and lemon juice using a fork.
Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes until hot and peppers are tender.
Sprinkle with parsley.