Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
from: Allison - Chicago, USA
I LOVE THIS SOUP!!
I'm sorry that I can't remember the cookbook from whence was ripped
Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled halved and seeded
- 1 large sweet potato (or yam), peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbs. oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic(sometimes i add more)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbs. sugar (any kind of natural sweetener will do i suppose)
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne (more if you like spicy!)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup soy milk
Lightly oil a baking dish.
Cut squash and potato into 1-2" chunks and place in dish.
Season lightly with salt and pepper and cover tightly with aluminum
Bake until soft, about 45 minutes.
Saute onion in oil and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
Add sugar, allspice, and cayenne and stir to blend.
Add stock and bring to boil.
Simmer 5 minutes.
Puree soup mixture in batches and return to saucepan.
Puree squash and potato and add to saucepan.
Slowly blend soymilk until desired consistency.
Slowly reheat, but be careful not to boil.