1. Heat oil in large skillet or pot w/ lid over medium-high heat.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- one medium onion, chopped
- one red bell pepper, chopped
- one green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground red pepper)
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 2-3 (15.5 oz.) cans of various beans of your choice, drained
and rinsed, ie: garbanzos, black beans, kidney beans
Add veggies and garlic, cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes, or until crisp
2. Stir in water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices.
Bring to boil; add rice. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer
(about 45-50 minutes for brown rice, about 25-35 minutes for white
rice) until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Stir occasionally during cooking time.
3. Gently stir in beans.
Simmer another 5 minutes or so, until thoroughly heated.
This makes a good quantity for a large family.
The results are pretty moist.
If you prefer it drier, you may want to add more rice or less