from: Marg - Ontario, Canada
Marinade time - 1-4 hrs
Cooking time 5 to 7 minutes
1. Remove tofu from container. Drain and pat dry.
- 1 lb+ Tofu in water (not vacuum -packed)
- Jerk sauce - very spicy - use as much as you can stand (I use
commercial brand from Bruno's in Canada)
- Tamari sauce
- Mushrooms (large, such as portabellos or shiitakes, preferably
- Marinade for mushrooms (either commercial brand or use balsamic
vinegar and olive oil)
2. Cut tofu in 1/2" thick slices - the brand I use comes in 2"
wide by 4" long blocks.
3. Place slices on large flat plate.
Pour jerk sauce until covered - make sure underside of tofu is covered.
Pour a small amount of tamari (very salty so a little goes a long
way) over the tofu.
4. Marinate 1 hr to 4 hours - the longer it marinates, the more
intense the flavour.
5. Clean mushrooms - remove tip of portabello stems and all of
Slice portabellos in half (or thirds, depending on size - at least
1/2" to 1" thick).
Do not slice shiitakes unless extremely large.
6. Marinate mushrooms for about 1 hour - I prefer balsamic vinegar/olive
oil and a bit of tamari.
7. BBQ about 5 to 7 minutes (until cooked but not burned).
Use indoor or outdoor grill.
8. Can be eaten with rice or in a sandwich (crusty bread).
The combination of jerk sauce and tofu work very well together,
as well as the balsamic vinegar and olive oil with the mushrooms.
Some of my carnivorous friends love this recipe and have discovered
that going veggie (vegan) is not so bad after all!