Cook rice, and while doing so, soak raisins.
- 2 cups raw basmati rice
- 1 cup raisins
- Sherry to cover raisins
- Pumpkin (cheese pumpkins are the best--smoother) about 12-14
- 1 stick margerine
- 3/4 pound apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 pound pears, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots--chopped
- 4 T. rice syrup (optional), or juice concentrate (apple or orange)
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 t. mace
- 1/2 t. allspice
- 1/2 t. cardamom
- 1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 325
Cut top of pumpkin and remove all seeds and strings.
Using a spoon, carefully scrape out a layer of flesh without breaking
the shell--about 1 lb
Steam pumpkin meat until tender
Heat 2 T margarine, and saute apples, pears, almonds, and apricots,
about 5 min.
Add 2 T rice syrup, spices, cooked rice, steamed pumpkin, and salt
Melt remaining margerine, and stir in remaining rice syrup.
Add a little cinnamon, and brush inside of pumpkin with it.
Spoon filling into pumpkin and replace lid.
Place on oiled baking sheet and bake for one hour.
Place on large platter, and surround with fall-colored flowers,
And, that's it!!!
Serve with stuffing, caramel carrots, cranberry sauce, salad,