G - UK
This dish is a piece of improvisation by the chef in the restaurant
where I work in Liverpool.
To serve four people .
- 1/2 k split peas / lentils / chick peas
- 2 jacket potatoes - peeled and diced to 1/4 inch
- 1 stick celery fine dice
- 1 pepper fine dice
- 1 carrot fine dice
- 1 onion fine dice
- 1 pkt young corn fine dice
- 2 cloves garlic
- Any other vegetable of your own choice
- 100 g of dried pasta
- vegetable stock cubes to taste
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1. soak peas/lentils overnight.
2. prepare all vegetables and cook to crunch stage.
3. peel and dice potatoes and leave in cold water.
4. cook off pasta , refresh and set aside.
After cooking veg remove but keep the stock. Add the lentils and
simmer gently until cooked. Add the diced potatoes in with the lentils
and cook for a further 5 mins. Turn off the heat and cover with
lid. The starch from the potatoes will thicken the stew.
Add remaining vegetables and the pasta , season to taste and add
vegetable stock cube if required. You may have to add more stock
for consistency. You may also add chilli for extra spice.