with Asparagus, Lemon, and Spring Herbs
Recipe By: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone; Serving Size: 6
While water is heating for the pasta, heat half the oil and butter
in a wide skillet over low heat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large bunch scallions, including half of the greens -- thinly
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, sage, or tarragon -- finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus -- tough ends removed
- 1 pound linguine
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts -- toasted
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped chives, plus blossoms -- if available
Add the scallions, lemon zest, thyme, and a few pinches of salt and
cook slowly, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, slice 3-inch tips off the asparagus, the slice the
remaining stalks diagonally or make a roll cut.
When the water boils, salt it, add the asparagus, and cook until
partially tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Scoop it out, add it to the scallions, and continue cooking. Cook
the pasta, then add it to the pan with some of the water clinging
to the strands.
Raise the heat and stir in the remaining oil, the pine nuts, parsley,
chives, pepper to taste, and a few tablespoons of cheese, if desired.
Divide among pasta plates, grate a little cheese over each portion,
and garnish with the chive blossoms (if available).