Recipe By: Veggie Life March 1999;
Serving Size: 6
In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil over medium
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med onion -- chopped
- 1 lg carrot -- peeled and sliced
- 1 1/4 c dried borlotti (cranberry) beans -- soaked overnight
- 1 16 oz can plum tomatoes -- chopped
- 7 c Italian Vegetable Broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 6 oz small pasta (ditalini or elbow macaroni)
- salt and pepper -- to taste
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 6 slices day-old Italian country bread
Add onion and carrot and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Drain and rinse beans.
Add to pot along with tomatoes, vegetable broth, and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
Cook partially covered for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally,
until beans are tender.
Add kale and red pepper flakes.
Cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Bring a small pot of water to boil.
Stir in pasta, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until just tender.
Drain and add to the soup.
Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Turn on broiler.
In a small bowl, mix garlic with remaining olive oil.
Divide between the six slices of bread, spreading on one side.
Toast the garlic-covered sides under the broiler.
To serve, place one slice of bread, garlic side up, in a deep
Ladle soup over bread.
Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired.