This is for those evenings after a long day when you want a fresh,
tasty meal fast.
Serves: 3-4; Time: 20 minutes
If using tempeh, saute lightly in skillet with your favorite oil,
then remove to plate and set aside.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) soy margarine
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup cubed tempeh, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a heavy 12-inch skillet over
Add the onion, green pepper, and celery, and cook, uncovered, for
Add the mushrooms, and cook 2 or 3 minutes longer, or until they
are just tender.
Add the soy milk to the skillet, raise the heat to high, and boil
for 6-8 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
Stir in the salt and pepper and, if using, the tempeh.
Cook for another minute, until the tempeh is heated through.
Drain spaghetti thoroughly in a colander, and toss with the sauce
in the skillet.