con le melanzane
1. Cut eggplant (length-wise or cross-wise) into 3/8" slices.
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley (I use Italian, broad-leafed
- one 28-ounce tin of Italian plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely
- 1/8 tsp. finely chopped hot red pepper, fresh if possible (I
use dried red pepper seeds)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. spaghettini
Sprinkle slices liberally with salt and arrange upright in a colander.
Drain 30-40 minutes over a dish or in the sink.
Rinse well with paper towels.
2. Pre-heat oven broiler to 400 degrees F.
Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil, place on cookie
sheet (or something similar) and broil on each side until nicely
Cool and reserve.
3. In a medium-size saucepan, sauté the garlic in the 3 tbsp.
olive oil over moderate heat just until the garlic begins to colour
Add the parsley, tomatoes, pepper and salt and cook 25 minutes or
until the tomatoes have separated from the oil and turned to sauce.
Stir frequently. Cut the eggplant into slivers 1/2" wide, add to
the sauce and cook 2-3 minutes more.
Taste for salt.
4. Drop the spaghettini into 16 cups rapidly boiling salted (1
Cook rapidly 3-5 minutes.
The spaghettini should still be somewhat firm.
Put a small quantity of sauce in a warm serving bowl.
Add drained spaghettini, mix.
Serve immediately, topping each serving with additional sauce.