Peas & Greens Salad
This is a recent low-fat item from the L.A. Times -- it tasted
good; I hope it will prove to be lucky too.
Rinse peas and bring to boil with water to cover.
- 11-ounce package of fresh black-eyed peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (I used less)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed
Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender -- 15 to 18 minutes.
Combine peas, garlic, onion, tomato, cilantro, oregano, lemon
juice, olive oil, salt and cayenne in bowl.
Steam the mustard greens about 10 minutes.
Remove from steamer and cool.
Chop greens and stir them into the peas.
Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
(I think this dish tastes best at room temperature.)