Mock Tuna Salad Sandwich
From: Julie Bernstein
|The Peaceful Palate:
Fine Vegetarian Cuisine
by Jennifer Raymond
Here is my favorite vegan sandwich recipe, from The Peaceful Palate
by Jennifer Raymond.
It is listed there as "Dolphin-Friendly Mock Tuna Salad" but I don't
think it tastes like tuna and I dislike comparing veggie foods to
animal products anyway.
Mash the garbanzo beans with a fork or potato masher.
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated (optional)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. mayonnaise or mustard
- 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
Leave some chunks.
Add the sliced celery, grated carrot, chopped onion, mayonnaise and
Add salt to taste.
Serve on whole wheat bread or in pita bread with lettuce and sliced
Makes 4 sandwiches.