Israeli Salad with Jicama
I found this easy, tasty recipe in a Chicago Sun-Times article on Passover recipes. You don't have to be Jewish to enjoy this one! This salad goes very well served on lettuce leaves for a light lunch.
- 1 long English cucumber
- 8-10 plum tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into a small dice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, either red,white or yellow (red looks nice in this)
- 2 cups diced peeled jicama
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Peel cucumber, if desired, and cut into a small dice.
Mix cucumber with tomatoes, onion, jicama and parsley.
Add oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve cold or at room temperature.
*note,cut the vegetables no larger than 1/2 inch dice.
If you're making the salad more than a few hours ahead, don't add the salt until ready to serve or it will make the vegetables watery.