Complete Old Books
- The Ephrata community 120 years ago (link to archive.org) The Ephrata 'vegan' community was founded by German settlers in Pennsylvania in 1721, this account pub.1905.
- Souvenir book of the Ephrata cloister (link to archive.org) complete history, pub.1921
- Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (link to google books) edited by John Bigelow, 1868 edition p.97 When about 16 years of age I happened to
meet with a book, written by one Tryon, recommending
a vegetable diet. I determined to go into
it. (he remained on it for about 17 years)
- The Dorrellites (link to archive.org) 'vegan' community in 1790s New England. See pp.82-89 of this extremely hostile volume of 'History and proceedings of the Pocumtuck Valley memorial association' pub.1905.
- Johnny Appleseed : a pioneer hero (link to archive.org) by W. D. Haley, 1871. This edition 1955. Johnny (1774-1846) was based in Western Pennsylvania. p.8: 'He believed
it to be a sin to kill any creature for food'.