Barbados Bajan Beans
Here's a successful vegetarian recipe that's hearty, healthy and low fat.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (optional)
- vegetable stock or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small beans or cannellini, drained & rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Saute onion, chillies and curry powder in vegetable stock (or olive oil, if using) until onion is softened.
Add the rice and canned tomatoes, along with 2 cups of water.
Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the zucchini and peppers and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times.
Stir in the beans and sweetcorn and heat through gently for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the coriander and serve.